Saturday, September 19, 2009

My Weekly Dose (Lazy Edition)

Man, this was a long week. Doctors every other day, radiation sickness, cabin fever, the slow return to feeling myself (including a return to the marathon that is parenthood and anticipation of the return to work on Monday). I also happened to pick up a lot of comics this week, and I'll be honest with you...I don't feel like writing reviews for them.

SO...instead of reviewing this week's books myself, I'm going to let the books review themselves. I think you'll catch on right away and understand how I feel about each book based on the panels I choose, but in case you're one of those dopes who failed Lunch in grade school, here's an example:

Suppose I hated Marvel Zombies Return #3. This is the panel I'd use...



Of course, the fact is, I am loving this series and I'm kind of embarrassed to be drawn in by what should be the deadest of dead horse concepts...so my actual "review" panel is this one:




Follow? Rocket science, I know.

Remember that thing about me not feeling like writing a lot this week? Yeah...back to that.

Dark Avengers #9, wherein we move away from all that distracting X-Men nonsense from the past few weeks in order to get inside the head of a God. Two, actually, if you want to be technical, gross, and spoilery:



Invincible Iron Man #18, wherein the Eisner-Award-winning Best New Series continues to tell a story that should be called Tony Stark: Disassembled. Spoiler alert --> Tony punches a little kid in this issue, and the punk totally had it coming:



Amazing Spider-Man #605, wherein tag-team creative teams wrap up the Chameleon storyline and begin to fill in some of the blanks about where MJ has been during Spidey's "Brand New Day":



Batman and Robin #4, wherein Grant Morrison continues writing the all-new, all-different dynamic duo sans Frank Quitely's art, and following a just-okay third issue:



Captain America Reborn #3, wherein Ed Brubaker continues writing one of the only ongoing, monthly, pamphlet-style, mainstream comic books that you can refer to as a "graphic novel" and not feel like a douche for using the term incorrectly:



(I kind of reviewed that one myself just a little bit, didn't I?)

Blackest Night #3, wherein Firestorms from both sides of the grave take center stage:



Walking Dead #65, wherein what I said about Cap Reborn also applies, only the writer is Robert Kirkman, and the comic has been wrenching guts, breaking hearts, and eating brains for 65 consistently awesome issues:

No comments: